A Massive Hindrance to Effective Homeschooling | Episode 186
A love of learning!! Isn’t that what every home-educating family is hoping they’re able to instill in their children? Absolutely!!
Yet, many find that the act of doing school is actually hurting their relationships while having the opposite impact on their children. On this episode, David and Leslie will talk about what often hinders that love of learning and how we can overcome it in a way that will actually strengthen the relationships you care most about.
In Leslie's new book, Heart School: How Amazing Parents Become Excellent Home Educators, she talks a little bit about how many are afraid that homeschooling will actually hurt their relationships with their children. In chapter 8 of that book, she encourages families, especially ones that are coming out of a different educational environment, that they may want to employ a deschooling strategy for a time.
Deschooling is a term that Ivan Illich coined. He wrote a book in 1971 called Deschooling Society, where he was very critical of the institutional approach to education, which gives children a very narrow understanding of things and doesn't give details of both sides to consider. He noted that for many, "the right or appreciation of learning is curtailed by the obligation to attend school.”
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What "status quo" education looks like today.
- How education is defined and approached in today's environment.
- What a parent's goal for the education of their children should be.
- How deschooling can help parents achieve their goals while ushering in a way of approaching home education that brings freedom and confidence.
- How Deschooling can be a great tool for strengthening relationships at any point in your homeschool journey.
- How our previous discussion about wisdom comes into play in a discussion about Deschooling. (See episode 170 to learn about the Wisdom of Putting things Together.)
Additional Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Heart School: How Amazing Parents Become Excellent Home Educators.
- The Heart School Master Class.
- Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Events.
Have you ever been to a Teach Them Diligently event? If not, it's hard to even encapsulate what you're missing out on! Fellowship, fun, encouragement, equipping, laughter, growth, education, and so much more await you there.
What really sets Teach Them Diligently apart is a laser focus on lifting up Christ and the Kingdom importance of our work in our homes every single day. It's amazing what happens when a great variety of people come together with one goal-- to glorify Jesus within their homes and to teach their children diligently to love God and people and to prepare them to walk boldly through whatever door God opens for them in the days ahead.
Featuring some of the best speakers in the homeschool arena along with thousands of resources to flip through, Teach Them Diligently events are the perfect cap of your homeschool year to encourage your heart, help you refocus on what's truly important, and then to get you ready for the year ahead.
Get more details and secure your tickets: https://teachthemdiligently.net/homeschool-convention-locations/
Teach Them Diligently website
Join their Membership Community
Find the Teach Them Diligently App by searching “Teach Them Diligently” in your Apple or Android App store.
David is passionate about helping families grow in their faith and helping believers find their place in the Great Commission. He has spoken at numerous conferences and events across the United States and is committed to supporting the efforts of missionaries around the world.