Fear of People - Dealing With Slander
Mental health experts say fear of rejection is one of humanity's most common fears. Studies also indicate twelve percent of people in the United States suffer from social anxiety disorder. To put it simply, we all have a God-given need for acceptance, connection, and belonging. This is why it can create such inner angst when we feel dismissed, discounted, and excluded. Unfortunately, not everyone will like us, nor can we stop gossipers and slanderers from spewing their hate. But we can find strength, comfort, and healing in Christ when others wound us with their words. We can learn to anchor ourselves firmly in who we are in Christ and to Christ.
(Scroll down for discussion/reflective questions.)
Find Carol McCracken:
Find Jennifer Slattery:
Find Wholly Loved:
- What most resonated with you in this episode?
- Think of a time when you experienced slander or feared someone had slandered you. What made this most challenging?
- What insecurities, doubts, or questions did you wrestle with?
- How does it feel to know that Jesus, God's perfect Son, experienced slander as well?
- How does it feel to know that God is your defender and avenger?
- How might reflecting on His plans for you and His power to bring those plans to pass decrease your anxiety when others treat you poorly?
- What is one action step God might be asking you to take after having listened to this episode?