How God Prepares Us to Face Opposition
This is the second episode in a four-part discussion on standing strong amidst opposition. In this episode, Jennifer Slattery and guest Karen Whiting look at two biblical characters (Ezra and Nehemiah) called to a major restoration project, their miraculous beginnings, and how God prepared them for the opposition they'd later face. When we experience opposition, we might feel overwhelmed and unprepared, but often, when we look back, we'll see how God lovingly and faithfully prepared us for this particular season. We can quiet our fears and bolster our faith by reviewing ways we've witnessed His power and by reviewing the truths He's planted into our souls.
(Scroll down for discussion/reflective questions.)
Connect with Karen Whiting:
Find Jennifer Slattery:
Find Wholly Loved:
- What resonated with you most in this episode?
- Had you been in Nehemiah's position, while in Babylon, what might you have found most challenging about the Jerusalem rebuilding assignment?
- When has God called you to leave an area of comfort or prestige to embrace a challenging assignment? What truths emboldened you to obey?
- In this episode, Karen and Jennifer discuss Ezra's miraculous beginning (abundant provision from King Cyrus). When have you experienced a miraculous beginning on a project, and how did that affect your expectations?
- Jennifer and Karen also discussed ways in which Nehemiah's role as a cupbearer might have prepared him to lead the returned exiles during this pivotal time in their nation's history. When have you stepped into a new role for which God had uniquely prepared you?
- How might reflecting upon ways God has helped you in the past increase your strength, perseverance, and courage when facing challenges in the present?
- What is one action step God might be wanting you to take, having listened to this episode?