7 Steps to Reset When You Blow It with Your Kids (w/ Kirsten Vossler) - Ep. 74
Let’s be honest… sometimes we blow it as parents. We lose our temper and fly off the handle. It is vital that we know how to reset when we do. All the hard work we do as parents to strategically establish a solid spiritual foundation for our kids will be severely comprised if our relationship is broken.
Catherine’s special guest in this episode is a pro on the parenting front. With nine kids, Kirsten Vossler is devoted to mothering full-time, and she imparts her hard-earned wisdom weekly on The Rejoicing in Motherhood Podcast. Kirsten shares with the CPCW audience seven vital steps that we should take when we blow it with our kids. Those steps are:
1. Stop. (Easier said than done, but shut your mouth.)
2. Get alone. Remove yourself physically from the crazy situation.
3. Cry out to God. Be honest.
4. Ask God what He wants to say to you. Not to your kids. To you. He will bring identity, clarity, and perspective to you and the situation.
5. Repent to God first.
6. Repent to your child. Humble yourself. Say “I messed up. Jesus would never talk to you like that.” Acknowledge their pain. Say “I’m sorry.” And ask for forgiveness.
7. Be tender with your child as they are healing.
These steps walk us through the full cycle of repentance. Committing to this process is a critical part of discipling our kids because not only will it help to heal the damage we have caused in the parent-child relationship, it also models for our kids what true repentance looks like.
Kirsten Vossler’s Bio: Kirsten is a mother of 9, yes you heard that right—9 kiddos. She has been a Children’s pastor, a worship leader, a writer, a conference speaker, and now she is host of the Rejoicing in Motherhood Podcast.
Kirsten’s Podcast: Rejoicing in Motherhood
Bible Verse Referenced: