How Can Christians Get Involved in the Fight against Human Trafficking? (w/ Dr. Rondy Smith) - Ep. 86
January is National Human Trafficking Awareness and Prevention Month. Joining Catherine in a vital conversation to promote awareness is an expert in the field of sexual trauma recovery. Dr. Rondy Smith is the Founder & CEO of Rest Stop Ministries,Tennessee’s first long-term residential restoration program for female survivors of sex trafficking. Rest Stop walks hand-in-hand with victims of sexual trauma through a 3-year recovery program. Graduates are able live happy, healthy, productive lives after completing this God-ordained work.
Catherine’s powerful conversation with Rondy reveals the magnitude of the problem, highlighting the shocking fact that sex trafficking exists in every zip code in the United States. Human trafficking is a world-wide, multi-billion dollar industry that is hidden in plain sight. Here is the alarming reality:
- There are 27 million people enslaved in the world today, more than any time in history.
- 80% are female and 50% of those are children trafficked for sexual exploitation. (That is over 10 million kids.)
- Sex Trafficking is a 34 billion dollar business – it is the 2nd largest criminal enterprise and fastest growing crime in the world.
- Every 2 minutes a child is trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation in the United States (according to the U.S. Department of Justice).
- Almost 300,000 American children are at risk annually for trafficking into the sex industry (according to the U.S. Department of State).
- The average age of entry into prostitution is 13.
- There are girls as young as 5 and 6 years old in the U.S. that are forced to do sexual acts for economic gain by their pimp (U.S. Department of Justice).
(Stats from Rest Stop Ministries.)
The problem is overwhelming, but Rondy points listeners toward practical ways that they can get involved in the fight against human trafficking. Proverbs 24:11 tells us to “ Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.” The imperative from Scripture is clear, and we all have a part to play.
We can’t fix a problem that we refuse to look at. God hates injustice. So we must take a long, hard look at this problem and become a part of the solution.
RONDY'S BIO: Dr. Rondy Smith is Founder & CEO of Rest Stop Ministries, which is a residential restoration program for female survivors of sex trafficking in the Nashville, TN area. Rondy is an ordained minister with a Doctorate in Education from Vanderbilt University in Human & Organizational Development, and she has served 37 years in Corporate, Academic, and Ministry professions.
The Samaritan Women: Institute for Shelter Care