5 Ways to Stop Your Differences from Dividing You as a Couple
Have you ever looked at your spouse and asked, “What do we have in common?” Maybe there have been times when you’ve even felt like you have more differences than similarities.
In marriage, there’s always the potential for our differences to eat away at our unity—especially if that’s what we focus on. Today, we’re sharing five practical ways you and your spouse can stop your differences from dividing you.
How to Stop Your Differences from Dividing You
- Understand that you are innately different
- Don’t despise each other’s differences
- Learn to appreciate and respect each other’s differences
- Have shared interests that unite you
- Spend time together
Us Time Challenge
Identify one difference that’s been dividing you and your spouse lately. Take some time to think about what you can appreciate and respect about that difference. Then, tell your spouse—and be sure to keep it all positive!
Team Us Resources
- Team Us: The Unifying Power of Grace, Commitment, and Cooperation in Marriage (https://ashleighslater.com/team-us/)
- FREE Team Us Study Guide (https://ashleighslater.com/team-us/free-team-us-study-guide/)
Links Mentioned in This Episode
- Loving Him Well by Gary Thomas
- For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn and For Men Only by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn
- 9 Lies That Will Destroy Your Marriage by Robert Paul and Greg Smalley
Connect with Ted and Ashleigh
- Website (https://ashleighslater.com/)
- Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ashleighslater_author/)
- Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ashleighslaterauthor)
Ted’s a website developer, and Ashleigh is the author of the books Team Us: The Unifying Power of Grace, Commitment and Cooperation in Marriageand Braving Sorrow Together: The Transformative Power of Faith and Community When Life Is Hard.
Ashleigh has also written for publications including iBelieve.com, Focus on the Family Magazine, Boundless.org, and HuffPost.
Learn more at AshleighSlater.com.